31 March 2010

If at first you don't succeed......

It's been a while - as much as it's my plan to simplify life - it is a long term goal, so for now it's still busy busy busy - must keep working on that energy descent plan :-). I can hear you groan when I start to talk about this, so sorry to mention the 'C' word
at this time of year, but I've got this little story to tell; for my learning if no one else's. Every year for some time now I've had it in my mind to do what I refere to as a 'Christmas by-pass', only to fail in my attempt quite badly again and again - and last year was no exception. I thought I was really on the case - didn't watch any T.V. in the run-up to the big day, didn't buy anything early and planned to keep shopping at bay until two weeks before the 25th. My plan was to go and look for things that were made of sustainable materials, preferably being sourced locally -you know, Christmas with a conscience. Well, it was round about the two weeks before, and there I was, food shopping in Tescos - I know - bad move at the best of times - when something came over me akin to being abducted by aliens, and the next thing I knew, I found myself staggering to my car with a shopping trolley overflowing with every bit of my christmas shopping!:-( There I was, yet again. That sinking sense of somehow being hoodwinked, ripped off - brainwashed into literally buying into the whole scam that christmas is largely about. Perhaps if we re-named Christmas as ' The day of mass consumption' - it may become a day of awareness, rather than deep forgetting? Not that I don't enjoy a time of gift excange in the winter - where my children and M. comes home and we sit round the table to enjoy our meal together - the on-going waffle of laughter and conversation - only to be broken with that mysterious silence that always seems to follow my attempts at a joke - isn't unconditional love a marvelous thing?! Anyway - this year's gonna be different -my new mantra is 'Tescos' has no power over me', it's time to take responsibility for my shopping urges (with a little compassion and patience, of course.) I've started collecting little gifts as I find them. I'm going to Tescos' less and to the farmers market and charity shops more. It may be a case of two steps forward, one step back -but it's movement non-the-less. I think with a little creativity, Christmas/Winter Solstice can be a wonderful time for celebrating with awareness......so best wishes to me for the next one :-) tbc

No comments:

Post a Comment